Growing up in china, lack of money and different resources, I was a "cheap baby", who didn't really need anything. My mom said I was really easy to raise (Of course, she left me with my grandma for almost 15 years!). The only thing I feel bad for myself is that because my mom didn't have milk and we were too poor to buy powdered milk, I ended up sharing milk with my "big" cousin who always ate a lot and left me little. I blame that reason for me being small.
Ever since we knew we're going to have a boy, I've been wondering what stuff boys need. They have all those lists online that help parents-to-be to figure out what they should have for their babies. I've also been talking to my co-worker who just had a boy. Anyway, the more I talk to people, the more I know, the more I'm sad. Why in the world do those little ones need that much? !
We went to a friends' house for movie last night, they're going to have a boy probably in Feb. They told us that they have some baby stuff that they don't need and we can take them home. After we asked why they don't keep them for their baby, they showed us their future baby's room. It was a room full of baby stuff! Seriously, I felt a bit dizzy and jealous when I saw how much stuff in there!
Coming home from the movie night, I've been having questions in my mind which might sound silly to you: Are we bad parents for not being able to provide our babies enough stuff? If our babies never get a toy which helps learning-developing and stuff like that, are they really going to grow up stupid?
4 comments:
Pshaw! Babies don't need specific toys to help them learn and develop! I remember playing with milk lids and popsicle sticks when I was little. It was awesome! I think you are better off to err on the side of not having enough stuff than having too much stuff and having a spoiled child!
your baby will be fine because it will be loved and well taken care of!! don't worry about not having lots of toys. our baby is more interested in tupperware and ribbons than expensive toys. (cali)
totally agree with both of you. there must be something about Neville girls' babies that make them love Tupperware--Taylor said the same thing! :)
i totally know what your talking about sharon--we are 2 weeks away from bringing our little boy home and part of me is wondering if i have enough. our pack and play (crib) is in a hallway because his room is in the mist of renovation. i feel bad bc i dont have a total "set" of baby furniture in a "nursery". but really we have what the baby needs. we have a carseat (bc the hospital wont let us leave without one) and a place for him to sleep. and we have so much love for him (and i have to add-from a MOM and a DAD in the GOSPEL!!) And then people have been so so so generous in gifts.
my cousin has a lightswitch that she bought for her baby bc her baby loves to switch on and off a light. so she bought a lightswitch from homedepot and that's her baby's favorite toy! i love it. my aunt had her babies in crates/dresser drawers when they were first born. i dont think there is anything wrong with that!
people think that they need so much more than is necessary for a baby to develop. (quote by danny). there are so many things that are so over-rated. anyway that's our two bits. (ps this is from erin mostly)
Post a Comment