Saturday, October 17, 2009

Island in the Sky (Not Fire in the Sky)

This weekend we went up to the nearby island in the sky (much different from the 1993 movie Fire In the Sky, a movie with a terrifying alien abduction scene that gave me repeated nightmares when I was 8 about aliens abducting me, putting me on an operation table, and sticking needles in my eyes. I think it scared me so much because it is based on a true story that still remains one of the best and most plausible abduction accounts ever; it is also based in the White Mountains of Arizona and is about a man being abducted while working for his friend, Mike Rogers. When I saw the film, we recently spent time at the family cabin in the White Mountains: you can imagine the terror this brought to me). Anyway, the sky island I am referring to is Mount Lemmon, one of the unique "islands in the sky" because it is surrounded and thus isolated by very different, valley ecosystems.

We went up with Mom and Dad, primarily to enjoy a taste of fall that never comes to Tucson. It was beautiful!


My beautiful pregnant wife.

Showing off her belly

Mom being cute
Mom and Dad
Not sure why this tunnel is so big, but it's really cool.
Mom and Dad also treated us to go up the ski valley chair lift. The ride was very pretty. It was Sharon's first time riding a chair lift and one of my favorite parts was shaking it back and forth and making her really nervous.

Mom and Dad coming in for a landing.

1 comment:

Cait said...

Wow! pretty leaves! the picture of your mom is so cute! Sharon looks really good too! I hope she is feeling great as well. 4-7months is the best time in pregnancy!