Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'm confused...

Sam and I came to a disagreement which confused me a lot: Not long ago, he signed up for MCAT course . Classes will all be held on weekdays next spring except two of them will be in this semester, specifically on this coming Sat and Sun. Sam decided not to go to the Sun class. But I think that he should go.

Sam's reason:

Since high school he's been committed to keep Sabbath day holy and has been blessed for that. Never had anything bad happen because of that. He believes that there's a way to make it up and he is willing to do what it takes even if it makes life harder and more complicated.


My reason:

It's a different situation comparing to accept a job that requires you to work on Sundays. Especially it's only one Sunday, everybody has to compromise some times. If you don't go to this class, it will be so hard for you to try to catch up and also it's a waste of money too.


I'm confused. When it comes to a situation like this, should we be realistic or stubborn? (Maybe I shouldn't use 'stubborn' this word, but I cant find a better one in my limited vocabulary.) If it happens to you, what would you choose?

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sorry to take sides Sharon, but I'm going with Stubborn Sam on this one. There are some things that you just shouldn't compromise on.

Anonymous said...

I just randomly found this post blog hopping and I have to say, I agree with Sharon. I would definitely go to the Sunday class. I would ask myself, "does God know the intention of my heart?" The world may not, but God does. And does God honestly care about every little thing? I would guess no. He's got far too much to worry about, trust me. Billions upon billions of people are committing actual sins, but Sam isn't. A Sunday MCAT class will not bring God's wrath, will not diminish blessings, and would not require repentance. God will know that Sam would rather be at Church, and He will also understand. I promise.

Shelley said...

Sharon,

I tend to agree with you but knowing Sam he will not change his mind on this one and it will work out ok. Just be supportive and try not to think about the money issue. That would make me crazy but to Sam it is a non-issue. He has great faith but you need to remember just because you think he should go to the Sunday class does not mean YOU do not have a lot of faith. We all keep the sabbath holy in our own way and have to be careful not to judge others when they way they keep the sabbath day holy is not the same way we do.

Love, Shelley
PS -- I think stubborn is the perfect word -- no problems with your vocabulary. Sam is incredibly stubborn -- just like his Mom...

Cait said...

This is a tough one. Its hard because doctors have to work on Sunday. People need to be saved every day of the week, and Jesus did miracles on Sunday. He also let his disciples pick corn on Sunday (work) because they were hungry. It was a necessity.
But if Sam does not think it is necessary, then he should not go. I kind of think that if the Lord wants Sam to get into med school right away, he'll get in anyways. And if there's another way (for us it was 3 tries later) then that is what will happen (but he still needs to apply himself as much as he can -its no cake-walk!). I feel so blessed that I was able to get my masters degree and work a year and now stay home with Traci and not worry about money. That would not have happened if we had gotten in right away, and I feel the Lord's hand in what happened, even if it was frustrating and hard to understand at the time. But we are supposed to be in Bethesda now. I know it.
So don't worry about Sam, let him be stubborn. Chase is stubborn too. Just support him and let him know you still love him.

PS -I think Enoch is a rockin' name. LOVE IT! =)