Sunday, June 12, 2011

Goodbye, Zhu You

Four generations 
It's now been a month since we got to China, and it's time to say goodbye to Sharon's family in 36 hours. Last time we said goodbye and left for America, I felt guilty for taking their daughter away. This time, we're not sure when we will have another opportunity to come back. People say it's a small world, but China is pretty far away. The bigger and older our family gets, the more expensive coming back here will be. Starting medical school soon, time and money will both be sparse and the kids will be harder to manage. Whenever we talk to Chinese people who have immigrated to America, I always ask them how often they visit their family in China. I suppose it's a difficult task to assess how high of a priority and how feasible it really is.

As we leave this time, I'm not sure what to feel. Sharon's parents are by no means poor and appear quite satisfied socially and financially. This weakens the idea that her parents are probably happy I gave their daughter a chance to start a family in an affluent country and escape the bitterness of living in China, as some have suggested to me. Her dad keeps asking us to leave Enoch with them, and he's actually serious. I know I need to remember that I made the decision to marry someone from China, but also that Sharon made the choice to marry an American. I think her parents respect her choice and ultimately acknowledge that this is life.

It has been fun to be here. I am very happy that Sharon's parents got to spend considerable time with their grandkid. The tourist sites and scenery have also been fun. It has also been very difficult in numerous ways and we will be glad to get back to a comfortable routine and leave behind some of the more taxing aspects of being a parent here. A few specifics: worrying about Enoch getting sick from food; outside, it's a constant worry Enoch will pick up trash on the ground or get hit by crazy scooters/cars/bikes; inside, houses are anti-baby friendly; friends, family, and strangers feel it is their duty to tell you how to be a parent and to tell you when you are doing it wrong; in China people think you are evil when you don't spoil your kid.

That might have made China sound miserable for foreign parents unaccustomed to life here, but it's really not. Just be aware what you are getting yourself into.

Now, for some more pictures of our time around Zhu You. This little road we found was really nice for a walk.


Wheat fields are pretty
That big, scary, barking dog by the gate made Enoch really happy. He loves dogs.



Enoch is getting pretty good at walking/running
We went to the beach on Saturday afternoon, but Enoch was super tired so we went without him. The water felt like it was around 70. Would have been great paddling weather.
Lai Zhou Golden Sands Beach, about 15 minutes away from Zhu You. I think this place is going to be really nice in 15 years.

31 weeks pregnant
Swimming like a champ

The family business is usually just a storage shop for fish food, but sometimes they make it themselves. Starting a bit over a week ago, a bunch of people come over most days at about 6 or 6:30 AM and sift through sand for small sea snails and other ocean products to turn into fish food. People come to work for about $1 an hour, which still boggles my mind. Stuff in China is generally cheaper than America, but not cheap enough that you can make that kind of wage and live comfortably.
Morning in the courtyard

I mentioned I was plant stupid earlier, but I'm also pretty animal stupid too.  I'll simply call these little sea snails. They grind them up and get the meat out (it's kind of loud at 6:30AM).

Goodbye, Zhu You! (Hello, Shanghai)

4 comments:

Melanie said...

'Love the main page photo of the three of you! Enjoy your last day, and peaceful travels!

josh said...

I'm sure you all have mixed feelings. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures! Sharon looks great pregnant! (cali)

Kaitie Jayne said...

It's been so fun to hear about your trip and see pictures! Good luck on the flight home!

Shelley said...

Interesting comments on life in China and about the chances about making in back. You and Sharon are good for each other. No choice comes without some type of consequences. Good and bad. So happy it has been a good trip. It will be nice to have you home. When do you head up to Milwaukee?