This semester I'm teaching the first semester biology lab at UA, otherwise called MCB181L. It's a once a week, 3 hour course with 25 students in it and I get to be their instructor. So far two weeks have gone by and it's been a really fun experience to pretend like I know a lot more about biology than the other undergrads I am teaching; one of them is actually a senior. It's been a little less fun responding to all the emails that come in, such as ones on the day online homework is due saying "I can't remember what the homework is..." or "can I get an extension?" The curriculum involves a lot of online tutorials and simulations that students generally hate, but I hope I can make it a class that students enjoy even if it means being on time to an 8:00 class on Friday mornings (and they better be on time or they'll miss the quiz! Putting their name on it will always be worth at least 60 or 70 points though, so I don't feel too bad.)
Here is a video about PCR (PCR is the process used to amplify DNA that scientists use all the time. It's also used in crime labs) that I'll show the students in a few weeks. I think it's hilarious, and people without a science background might even enjoy it.
1 comment:
Haha love the vid
I taught a few classes of gen chem lab senior year-- teaching is loads of fun isn't it? It's funny that you mentioned how one of your students was a senior too-- the first semester I taught, I had a couple of post-bacs (a 43 year old woman, 29 year old guy and a 26 year old guy) and a couple of seniors in both of my classes 2nd semester, and I'd even see some of them out on 4th ave on the weekends heh
Hope all is well, your birthday brought me back to your blog, and I'm very glad to hear things are going well with your family!
Post a Comment