Thursday, September 10, 2009

"You Lie!"

I think America is pretty awesome because it's a country where people can yell "You lie!" at the president while he is making a really important speech on live TV without having to worry about disappearing the next day. Just apologize the next day, the president says it's all good, and life goes on. Anybody else?

4 comments:

Clay Allred said...

It is super lame that people treat the president like this. Its different on SNL where its all fun and games, but to yell that at the president is incredibly immature, disrespectful and ignorant. I have no patience for that at all.

Leslie said...

i bet joe woke up the next morning feeling a little stupid.

Samuel R said...

I bet he did feel stupid, but I admire his passion in the subject. He wasn't yelling at the president intending to be disrespectful, he was yelling out of an uncontrolled outburst that represented how strongly he felt the president's words were not true. I would imagine there are plenty of doctors out there who have seen hundreds of thousands of tax dollars go to treating illegal immigrants who would feel the same way as this congressman and potentially lose their composure by yelling something out loud, especially if they just read some amendments to the bill that actually do provision giving money to illegal immigrants. Sure, he spoke out of turn, but I still admire a politician with strong enough convictions that he will risk his career in contradicting the president like that. This is a free country with free speech and now because of this congressman the country is much more aware of this issue.

Sharon said...

I think I appreciate it more because I came from a country where freedom of speech is most likely an imagination. Nobody can actually say and do anything like that. If he's in china, he's probably in prison or dead by now.