We finally came back to the real life after the wonderful wedding and honeymoon, for those who are wondering, I'll give you some scoop...
Last Sunday night I called my mom in China, after talking about the wedding and honeymoon stuff, the first thing she asked was "Do you know how to cook?"... I said" Yeap, mom? I had a lot practice in Beijing. " Secretly, I was thinking sadly, mom, you don't have faith in your daughter! Well, I cant blame my mom though, I probably seldom cooked at home since I left my hometown for high school. And before high school, I probably had no idea how to cook. The conversation about cooking finally ended because my mom asked " Does Sam know how to cook?" I said, "yep, mom, he's way better than me!" So, she finally knew that we won't starve to death, and she was relieved.
Since Monday, I've been trying to cook following the recipes, because I don't want to make my poor husband to eat chinese food everyday. Though we didn't have all the ingredients we need, but the chicken drumsticks turned out good (at least not too bad ). Sam complimented a lot about that, which made me happy and pumped. Way to go, Sam... Haha :)
Sam suggested that we made cookies and gave to neighbours. So, Tuesday night, I started to bake cookies the second time of my life. You might notice I used "the second time", the first time the cookies were really good with the help of Kendra, my co-worker Kyle's wife. This happened even before I started dating Sam. This time, Sam wanted to use mom's recipe. I told myself, that's not a big deal, if I can follow the protocols to do experiments in the lab, of course I can cook in my kitchen!
You probably know how the cookies turned out, I almost cried a couple times. Sam said some of them looked good to him, even though some didn't look good, they have a beautiful inside. But I thought it was totally NOT TRUE!! In the end, I blamed the cheap $2 pan we bought from "Save A Lot" to make me feel better.
Last night, we finally gave some cookies to our neighbours, and also got to buy some nice pans from "Bed, Bath & Beyond". So, next time, I don't know what I'm going to blame for my cookies... Oh, well
5 comments:
i'm so glad you posted! i want you to post more so i can get to know you through your posts! i'm sorry for the cookies! high five for trying a recipe without growing up with it. danny won't even open up the family cook book bc he finds it confusing and scary. good luck!!
Thanks Erin! Yeah, I'll try to post more, some day you'll find out once I start talking, I cant stop... J/K
Sorry you had to lie to your mom about me :)
Happy to see the new Sam and Sharon blog. I totally would blame the cheap pan -- good cooking gear really does make a difference.
I like how you compared cooking to your work in the lab, Sharon! Happy experimenting! Love from Melanie
Post a Comment